News:

BTAQ Powersports is Alive in 2022...

Main Menu

How to Test the Battery in a DVX ATV

Started by brio85, February 15, 2020, 04:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brio85

How to Test the Battery in a DVX ATV

How to Test the Battery in a DVX ATV: Looking for some basic advice on this one. The ATV starts when I want it to but it seems as though sometimes it struggles and sometimes it turns over better. Not sure if I have a battery problem or something else in the starting system.

So I thought I'd start at the battery and test it first.

QuoteIf this were my ATV, I would also start with the battery and go forward from there. If your connections are good, tight, and clean, a load test on a battery is a good place to start.

You can use a voltmeter to test for 12V when the battery is at rest, you should see anywhere from 12.3VDC to 13.5VDC. This static test doesn't give you the whole story. When the battery is loaded down, voltage can drop substantially.

If you have alligator clips you can clip the test leads to the battery or have a helper hold the leads on the battery terminals while someone else tries to start the ATV.

A voltage drop of maybe 2V would be expected, but to see the battery voltage drop to 8 volts or less would indicate to me that it's time to go battery shopping.

chuckster

The battery being tested under load is the only way to zero in on a problem like this. In other words, the voltage drop during the cranking of the starter will signify if you have a battery problem or another issue.

Should see 12.5V DC at rest and should see at least 9.75 Volts DC while the starter is cranking. Make sure your meter is on DC volts.
-- Ride Safe --
Chuckster

Featured ATV's: Asun | Buyang | Durabull | Eton | Hyosung | Madami | Qlink | Yamoto

Gallery | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy